Thursday, December 17, 2009

Sketching, back to basics


I used to have a daily sketching habit, and due to painting for some recent exhibits and the busy pace of balancing my painting, full time job, and family, I have not been sketching like I used to. I have started again this week and just try to work in charcoal or conte crayon for just a few minutes a day. When I do this, it makes my painting time much more productive because the daily sketching helps to improve your skills... in the drawing area, anyway.

This unfinished conte crayon sketch pictured above was done by a stream on my inlaws' rural property in Siler City. I had my paint box out ready to paint, and ended up just sketching instead. It was a nice change of pace. I sketched enough to use it as reference for a future painting, but quit when my fingers went numb from the cold!

No comments: